Saturday, November 12, 2005

Some of my Best Friends are...


Thankfully, my friends are all fine, but jeeze, Freddie Gage isn't kidding.

When Francis phoned me (or skyped me to be precise) I told him I was going to write about friendship on my blog and he teased me for trying to write profoundly on universal themes as if I was some kind of voice over on 'Sex in the City' or any other American morality sit com. But where would you be without a few Universal Themes to discuss?

So I met a good friend for a coffee this afternoon and I was thinking how great it is that friendship deepens with age. I'm not a wine or whisky connoisseur but I'm sure it's the same principle. The longer the friendship, the deeper the reward - the relief of familiarity, of knowing the short hand, of not having to pretend. Okay, I am beginning to sound like Bill Cosby.

When I was at school I had a best friend. Our friendship was sealed when she chased away a boy who tried to bully me. We used to get identical Lady Diana haircuts and wear the same clothes only in different colours. Burgundy was a big favourite. We thought it was sophisticated.

At University I bonded with 2 girls and we've been a friendship trio for 20 years. When I asked them if they read my blog and they both looked slightly bewildered, hesitated and said, 'Well, we don't really understand what it is...' Awww. They're Amish. Only kidding.

Well done to the rest of you who managed to find your way here. I think the comments section requires people to sign in before they make a comment. Or I'm just telling myself that, to console myself that I'm not hollering away in an empty cyberspace cavern.

If I could pick famous friends I'd want Bob Geldof, Stephen Fry, Eddie Izzard, Ricky Gervais....oh, it's all men (?!) From women I'd pick Germaine Greer and Madonna, although I can see myself having a hand bag fight with both of them.

I had a dream last night that I was lying asleep in the arms of a polar bear. What's that about?

-C

No comments: